Friday, September 19, 2008

What an unusual sight!

So I had to go to the grocery to get milk yesterday. With a family of 6, we go through an average of 3 gallons of milk every week. Trips to Kroger for milk are a very common, regular occurrence. Yesterday's however was a little unusual. The Kroger nearest to us had just reopened that day (I found this out later from a friend). So I headed back to the back corner of the store to the milk section. I took my usual shortcut through the ice cream aisle and stopped. I just stood there staring with my mouth hanging open. All of the freezers were empty. The whole big long aisle was completely empty of food. It makes sense if you think about it; I mean they lost power too so naturally they'd have lost all their frozen foods. But seeing the reality of all those empty shelves was something else. All the frozen food aisles were the same way; the dairy section had milk but nothing else, no cheese, yogurt, eggs, butter, sour cream, meat, frozen veggies, pizzas, chicken. (ok, now I'm getting hungry). That was definitely something you don't see every day!

1 comment:

richardakrebs said...

Hi--Thank you for adding us to your blog, Amy. We don't have anything to say about our ordinary lives, but reading about yours is always a bright spot in the day. Are you saving everything you write? Hope so. In another 10 or 15 years it will be a precious history for you and the children. Sorry about your hurricane mess. Growing up in Florida, that was a common occurence, and a mess to clean up. We teens would get together for a sleepover and yell and scream in pretended fear, to the light of a lantern. I can't remember the electricity being off for very long. We loved the "no school" day. Hugs and kisses to your gang. Aunt Anadele





ence